- Funds were used to purchase equipment to implement a landfill gas
treatment system at the Bovoni Landfill.
- The facility was constructed to collect the gases from deep under
the landfill and turn them into energy that is used to power the
waste water treatment plant in Bovoni.
- The project Leveraged a Design Build Operate (DBO) Model and is
estimated to save 1 M kWh in energy consumption, reduce associated
energy cost by $375,000 annually, reduce emissions by 1,325 cubic
feet/minute and will assist the long-term beneficial use of Landfill
Gas, Odor reduction and Leverage Grant Funding.
- The project was completed on 9/27/2012.
- Work on the facility was completed and the generator test run.
- The Public Services Commission (PSC) granted Qualifying Facility status on 6/29/2012.
- A Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) & inter-connection negotiation with the Virgin Islands Water and Power Authority (WAPA) was undertaken.
- The generator building was completed while work on the Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) and progress on the application to become a qualified power production facility was underway.
- An application to become a qualified power production facility was submitted to the Public Services Commission (PSC) for action.
- The control system for the installation was ordered and monthly on-site monitoring visits were scheduled & conducted and the progress was noted.